Welcome to Clasp Charity
We are Counselling Life Advice Suicide Prevention Charity also known as, CLASP Charity.
We are a charity whose aim and mission is to confront the stigma surrounding mental and stress related illnesses, daily emotional trauma and suicide via events such as the ‘WALKING OUT OF DARKNESS’ charity walk and working together with the Medical Advisory Service, NHS 111 service and local Councils on a new Mental Health Wellbeing and Suicide Prevention helpline, which will offer those suffering, their family, friends, work colleagues, carers and the public in general; a proactive advice and support service whilst informing callers of local services, charities and organisations able to help with their needs.
Mental and Stress related illnesses can be the consequence of many things; financial stress, domestic violence, physical disability, bullying, addiction, shame, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, illegitimacy, victimisation, gender identity, guilt, poor education, ethnicity, faith, illiteracy, religion, cyber bullying, peer pressure, sexual orientation and other daily emotional traumas. The stigma surrounding these conditions coupled with the absence of an effective proactive source of help to prevent people from reaching out and can lead to suicidal thoughts.
In 2013, over 17 million people in the UK suffered from Mental illness (1 in 4 of the population) 6,000 people completed suicide (1 every 90 minutes) and over the last 5 years, over 35,000 people have completed suicide according to Office of National Statistics. Yet, we know Suicide is Preventable!
CLASP together with its supporters, many who know the pain of what leads a person to attempt suicide and the consequences of suicide for their family, friends and work colleagues, aim to reduce the number of those suffering and attempting suicide in years to come.
CLASP Mission & Vision
CLASP Charity's mission is to confront the stigma surrounding mental illness and suicide:
- Providing practical, relevant and tangible support via a national emergency helpline for those in despair or contemplating suicide. Providing a range of targeted counselling for people suffering; domestic violence, financial stress, sexual abuse and suicidal thoughts.
- Developing a counselling network across the UK to service those in despair raising awareness of the effects of loneliness and depression.
- And staging events across the UK to raise awareness and funds to tackle the powerfully isolating effect of stigma that plagues so many people needing support.
- CLASP’s vision is a society with greater understanding and acceptance of mental illness and emotional disturbance, where the subjects are discussed openly and without shame or stigma, and where suicide becomes a thing of the past.
Our Core Values
- A belief that ignorance about mental illness perpetuates the stigma and shame that shrouds the subject and that this must be tackled.
- A belief that, the therapeutic effect of talking, on those suffering from loneliness and suicidal thoughts, is beyond measure.
- A belief that a blanket counselling service with specialists to deal with specific traumas such as financial stress, domestic violence, sexual abuse and suicidal thoughts is a vital support structure for those in need.
- A welcoming, practical and understanding resource, without stigma, for those suffering mental illness, emotional trauma and suicidal thoughts.